Saturday, June 14, 2008

The ongoing saga of the Whacky Shack

Our local family amusement park is called Waldameer. It's a wonderful smaller park...you can still get in for free if you don't want to ride rides and an all day pass to the park and the Water World is under $20. One of our favorite rides is called The Whacky Shack. (I always wonder why it's called "Whacky" instead of "Wacky" but whatever.) The Whacky Shack is what they call a "dark ride," meaning you get into a little car and ride through the building, twisting and turning and getting little scares and thrills along the way. Liam has an intense fascination with this ride. He wants to go on it in the worst way...but he just can't make himself do it.


We visit Waldameer probably 2-3 times each summer. Every single time we plan a visit, Liam says, "I'm riding the Whacky Shack first thing!"
But as we approach it, this is the demeanor he displays:




And this is where he ends up: watching at the fence. He'll stand here and watch people getting on and off the ride for an hour if we let him.

Yesterday, Liam's cousin Dylan came along with us. Dan wanted to take Liam and Dylan on the ride, but of course, he ended up with just Dylan...

while Liam stayed behind with me.

But while Dan and Dylan were on the ride, the wheels must have been turning in Liam's head. He was psyching himself up, and when Dylan came out, Liam asked if he wanted to ride it again with him! So they got in line and it started out all smiles.
Then Liam got to thinking...
and looking again....and wondering if he'd made the right decision.... because it was almost their turn....would he do it?? Would he ride the Whacky Shack for the first time since 2005?



Not this time. Dylan ended up going alone.

Maybe next year.

16 comments:

C said...

All look like so much fun! Great shots!

Anonymous said...

Famazing journaling. You're my hero. I'm going to update my MySpace page as tribute.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is so sweet. My boy is exactly the same way! He can't stand any ride that goes "inside" a place that he can't completely anticipate before boarding. Your photos and storytelling are wonderful, Amy!

Anonymous said...

Photojournalism--I love this!

Val said...

Looks like fun!! I love that you can get in just to walk around. I don't do rides, so we waste so much money paying for me to go into parks to take photos of my kids. hehe

Margaret said...

These photos tell the story so perfectly. Love it. That amusement park sounds great. What a fun thing to do in the summer. Maybe next time, he'll do the Whacky Shack!!

Reds said...

Love your journaling and pics on this! Hope he gets to go on the Wacky Shack next time!

For Over 29 Years... said...

Love all the commentary to go along with the photos. Way a perfect way to remember this time. I hope one day he gets all the way on!

jordan.krogman said...

This totally had me laughing out loud. You did such a great job of capturing all his expressions and I LOVE the journaling!!

Shanna Jones said...

Good times...I like that third one...LOL

Becky said...

Story of my life, Liam, story of my life.
:-)

Jess said...

This is so great! I just loved your story, that made the whole thing for me! I hope Liam can get brave enough to go on the Whacky Shack next time.

Angela2932 said...

Hooray for Liam!!!!!! Everyone should learn from him! And I love how you documented this! You go, Liam! Don't let anyone talk you into doing something that just doesn't feel right to you! And what a great job he's doing checking out the information, the pros and cons, trying to see what actually happens to people in that Whacky Shack, and what kind of shape they're in when they come out! (But don't let him watch the video, "when good times go bad!"

Anonymous said...

This is the best thing I've read in a long time!! I made my whole family look at it with me! Of course it helps that we have all had our own Whacky Shack moments!! Thanks for sharing this Amy!
mary

Anonymous said...

I remember being so scared of this ride when I was a kid also the pirets cove that scared me more then anything

Beth
now in Fl

Anonymous said...

This is one of the last of Bill Tracy's creations built in 1970. There were other Whacky Shacks like at Joyland Wichita (SBNO since 2006), Hunt's Pier, Wildwood, NJ (removed early 1996-SBNO 1995). Also, the Haunted House built 1962 at Ocean City, MD and a Pirate's Cove, too. Waldameer also has a Pirate's Cove, built in 1972. Bill Tracy passed away in August of 1974. His company was in North Bergen, NJ and Cape May County, NJ. Jim Melonic took over his business and today it's JMM Studios. May the surviving Bill Tracy rides live on. One of his creations, the Golden Nugget Mine Ride built 1960 at former Hunt's Pier is being removed 2009 with props going to Morey's other 4 dark rides, and track and trains to yet unknown buyer.