Sunday, March 8, 2009

Dichotomies

I had the occasion to take photographs twice this weekend. Yesterday, I took some shots of sweet little Madison. You may remember back when she was just a name on her mom's belly, or maybe you remember when she was nestled in a basket like a cute little bug.

Well little Miss Madison is growing up! She'll be one in May, and I got to take a few (hundred) shots of her yesterday. More of those to come this week.

Today, we drove down to see my grandpa. Bumpa, as I call him, helped raise me. I lived with him and my gram for a time while I was growing up, and he's definitely more of a "dad" than a "grandpa." He's in his eighties now, but still very independent and "with it," as the kids like to say. Bumpa has also been blind in his right eye ever since a firecracker accident when he was a kid, but he has always functioned just fine.Except he had previously been diagnosed with both glaucoma and macular degeneration. Not great when you rely on only one eye. And last week, he woke up one day to find that he couldn't really see anything that was further away than about two feet.


So suddenly, the family patriarch who still helps some of us with our taxes, needs a magnifying glass to see his checkbook. The man who taught me how to drive and still ferried his sister around to her doctors appointments and shopping trips, can't drive his car anymore.

As has always been his tradmark style (indicative of many of the Great Depression/World War II generation), he is accepting of this new hand that's been dealt to him and loathe to complain or feel sorry for himself. We combined our visit today with a shopping trip, which was a nice way to spend time together. And as usual, even though he has tried to love it out of me and show me the way all these years, I have enough bitterness and angst for both of us.

17 comments:

pat said...

Amy, I've missed seeing you! Hope you hare feeling better. So sorry about your Bumpa---that's a tough one to swallow. He sounds like a great guy, and from the looks of your photos, is tackling this head on.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a lovely use you made of light in those shots of your grandfather. He seems alone in those pools of reflection from the magnifier and the green lamp, so intimate.

And Madison is a doll! So pink and perfect. Her parents must be busting their buttons.

Great to see you here!!

Anonymous said...

What wonderful shots. They really tell the story. I lived with my grandparents, too, growing up and I really miss my grandpa.

Christy said...

So sorry to read that about your grandpa. My thoughts will be with him. You really captured the feeling in those shots.

Steph said...

Great memories of your grandpa. My grandparents hold such a special place in my heart too.

Unknown said...

I love the shots of your grandfather. These will surely be treasured in years to come.

Diana said...

love these shots of your grandfather and the light just gives these shots a great sence of ambiance.
cant wait to see more shots of the little cutie M

Suzy said...

Great memories of your Gpa. and Madison is darling!

Jess said...

What a wonderful post... I teared up reading about your Bumpa. Wouldn't this world be such a better place if more people were like him? (and all of the older generation folks, really- my grandparents are the same way). So sorry to hear about the macular degeneration- my grandmas on both sides have it and it is just awful to watch them struggle to see. The worst part for me is knowing it is hereditary- I am terrified of losing my sight! So {{hugs}} to you sweetie...

Reds said...

So glad to see you posting again! So sorry about your bumpa - growing old is the pits - glad you get to spend some quality time with him!

Anonymous said...

at least i don't have to look at ole man hands pinching her left breast anymore...

Amy said...

I'm so happy you're feeling better, I do enjoy your photogrpahy! Madison is such a cutie, great shot. I just LOVE your shots of your Bumpa and am so glad that you're able to spend time with him. :)

Angela2932 said...

I'm so sorry about your grandpa! Do you think he'd like a Kindle 2, the one that reads books outloud? I hope he can find some things that help ease some of this for him.

Kelly said...

Can you NOT make me bawl when you don't post for over a month and then come back being all sentimental with a GRANDPA story, none the less!!! My heart cannot take this!

You've still got it, pally. ;-) Hugs and prayers for Bumpa, too.

Rich said...

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

I'm missing you!!

Just so you know. ;-)

Lou said...

It's April

You can post an new entry any day now.

;-)