Sunday, April 5, 2009

Lost in Plain Sight

I went downtown to take pictures today. It was refreshing to get away from the house, and to just be alone for awhile. I took pictures up at the train station, took some at the Russian Orthodox church I've always meant to stop at, and even stopped at a tattoo parlor on a whim to inquire about getting an old messy tattoo I have covered up with something new and pretty.

My last stop of the day was down at the bayfront and there were a lot of people out fishing and enjoying the sunshine. Off to the east pier, I met Michael.

He seemed surprised when I approached him to ask if I could take his picture. He asked why I would want to, and I answered honestly that he was interesting.

Although it seemed pretty obvious that he was homeless, I asked if he lived around here. He said he slept in his van at night and hung out at the dock or the park during the day. I asked if he was aware of City Mission to get help and he said yes.
Part of me wondered if he wanted to tell any more of his story, but instead, I thanked him for letting me take his picture, and I told him it was nice to meet him, and I shook his hand and I walked away.

14 comments:

Lou said...

Welcome back!

You have so many shots of this man that I feel like I can see him moving. The colors are rich and your view seems to inch closer until I can finally see what that thing is on his nose. At first, I thought it was a band-aid, but now it looks like one of those nose strips to prevent snoring.

Such excellent work, Amy.

Shanna said...

You are brave! I've wanted to do this before too. I saw a girl once that had a mohawk in purple dreadlocks at the park once...I SO wanted to take her picture! I even had my camera in my hands. I was too shy to say anything though...I wish I would have. Love your processing on these. Great job.

Nicki said...

Glad to see you back - very brave, fascinating, and real photographs. I combed down through your posts - love the shots of your grandfather. Truly from a VERY special generation and it is wonderful that you have that special relationship with him.

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

Nice documentation and brave to ask.

S.Kremer said...

Wow! What an amazing story these set of pictures tell! Thanks for sharing:)
Shawna (shawkrem)

Amy said...

Great shots, they tell a story on their own, but I really enjoyed reading what you wrote! :)

Sara said...

I love street photography, I like trying to read the story there. But I agree with Amy, I really like reading your comments.

Sharon said...

Beautiful captures! Yep, you re brave. I am too shy.

Mandy said...

Wow...what a brave woman you are. I would be kind of freaked out to do this. Perhaps you are a budding photographic journalist.

I love how he is smoking and he has the nose thing on.

Reds said...

Glad to see you back - and impressed that you asked the guy to pose for you - would never have had the courage!! Great shots!

Anonymous said...

Great for you to have so much courage! Your respect for his dignity really comes through your words.

shirley said...

Wow, your captures have so much of his character showing through. There is no way I could ask a stranger to take his picture.

Angela2932 said...

I'm glad he agreed to this with you, and it sounds like you were very respectful in your approach. I like your processing of this, and the fact that it sounds like he was comfortable enough to just keep on moving. The only shot I've taken of a homeless person was by accident. .. when I was in San Antonio and walking along, a man asked me to take his picture, and before either of us seemed to process this, I had. But then I realized he looked none to pleased, and maybe wasn't serious. . . and I moved on out of there! I haven't gotten up the courage to directly approach anyone, so good for you for doing so, and doing so in a way that I imagine was genuine and kind.

Anonymous said...

Amy, great pictures. How do I get in touch with you? I can't find your e-mail address anywhere.