Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Woolly Bear

Meet Isia Isabella, or the Woolly Bear caterpillar.
In the spring, this guy (or gal) will become a Tiger Isabella moth. But for now, he's still a Woolly Bear. There's an old wive's tale that the width of the black stripes on either end helps predict the winter weather. Wide areas of black are supposed to indicate a severe winter, while narrow areas of black supposedly foretell a mild winter. This guy's stripes look pretty narrow to me. In any case, one can hope, and I'll take a mild winter any way I can get it.

We found this at Letchworth State Park in New York. More photos of that later, but for today, I wanted to share something a little more full of mystery.

Also, a note: Thanks to all of you for your kind comments on yesterday's post. I appreciate them so much.

11 comments:

pat said...

I love these shots, Amy, and the way he/she looks like he/she is fording a river. Very cool! The coloring contrasts so well with the blue tones. Glad you are feeling better tonight. (((hugs)))

Lauren Hartman said...

That is an amazing caterpillar, I've never seen none like it.

I am so sorry about what you're going through right now, and hope you're able to figure things out and find a new job soon.

Diana said...

First of all {{HUGS}}
now that is one cool looking caterpillar and awesome shots. cant wait to see what it will look like as a butterfly

Shanna said...

Wow, that's pretty cool!

Yolanda said...

Very Cool!

Reds said...

Don't like bugs... but that is one cool one!! Glad you are feeling a bit better! ((((Hugs))))

Nicki said...

I normally only see all black woolies and can never predict the weather correctly. Very cool shots - especially with the water contrast.

Keep smiling gal - I tend to get overwhelmed with strife (and over think things) and my husband reminds me that 'this too shall pass' - and it always does.

Lou said...

I LOVE the photos, the story, the caterpillar! A glimpse into northeastern culture.

Margaret said...

Awesome caterpillar shots. I am so sorry to hear about the struggles you are going through right now. I hope things work out soon for you! I'll be thinking of you!

Anonymous said...

He is cute and fuzzy! I like the water in the shot, more interesting.

Kelly said...

I LOVE woolly bears! That creepy suction that they have when you try to pull them off of your hand is disturbing, yet fascinating at the same time. Kinda like our friendship. ;~)