Sunday, November 22, 2009

Not a Flicker, A Glimmer.

My usual m.o. when I post a new entry is to go on about how sorry I am it's been so long since I updated. Not this time. People who know me and know what has happened will understand.
These are the first pictures I've taken since mid-October. I've been too deep in a dark hole to consider even trying. As a matter of fact, I couldn't even imagine picking up my camera.
But even when we're grieving, day-to-day life demands that we attend to certain things. And so it was last Tuesday that I found myself outside, raking and bagging leaves. I was feeling extraordinarily tired. Not just from the raking, from breathing. I'd been tired before I'd even come outside.
And then I happened to look up, and I saw this bird.
At first, I had my woodpeckers mixed up, and I thought this was a Flicker. And I thought that was really poetic, because seeing her (I think it's a girl due to the lack of red blaze on the nape) made me think about how life goes on and we get through even that which seems insurmountable....you know, like a flicker of hope.

So I put down the rake and tried to go inside quietly to retreive my camera. I was able to capture quite a few shots as she made her way up and down the branches looking for food.

Later, I decided it would be a good idea to look the bird up online to make sure I had my facts straight. Turns out it wasn't a Flicker, it's a Downy Woodpecker. Now, the name Downy just doesn't seem to have the same significance as the name Flicker would have, but all the same: watching this bird made me want to capture some shots, and made me forget about my troubles for a couple of minutes. I actually felt a small glimmer of happiness and hope. And at this point, that means a lot.

9 comments:

Angela2932 said...

Oh, Amy. I'm so sorry about whatever sadness has come into your life this past year. Actually, I've very much missed your posts, but sometimes other parts of life warrant so much more of our emotional energy than posting! I just hope that more and more, you feel better and life is more hopeful. Your little hopeful Downy Woodpecker is a treat! There's been a few little birds just like this in my yard today,checking out the birdfeeder, and I wondered what they were! How ironic that you posted this today and now I know what they are!

Nicki said...

I too hope that more joy comes into your life in the upcoming months and new year. Nature does have a way of reminding us that 'this too shall pass' and 'life must go on'. Lovely blue skies and diligent woodpecker.

Cindi Koceich said...

Sending a hug!! I'm so sorry for whatever you are going through and pray that peace and hope surround you!!

Yolanda said...

Sending you hugs. Glad your camera could be used to bring you some comfort. Love these little woodpeckers by the way. We have them here and they seem peaceful to me for some reason.

Reds said...

So sorry Amy you are going through some rough times! Sending you (((((hugs)))).

Reds said...

So sorry Amy you are going through some rough times! Sending you (((((hugs)))).

Anonymous said...

Maybe the bird found you! Lovely shots, I liked the silhouette. Grieve because you are human, live because it's all you have. And we are better off for it!!!

dMacK said...

jesus christ, you used the word "nape" in a blog.

that's 42 seconds of my life i'm never getting back...

Mayhem said...

You were raking? Never! ;)