Monday, January 12, 2009

The Word of the Day is "Texture."

Well, technically it's not the word of the day; it's the theme of the week. Texture. There's a big trend right now of adding texture to photos either via different filters or by merging photos in Photoshop. I plan to play with that later this week. (Like most trends, I'm no early adopter.)
In truth, I looked at a tutorial today and actually did add some texture to a couple of pictures, but as I was playing around, I noticed that a lot of the shots I've taken in the past few days already have some good texture all their own. In the above, it's in the clouds.

Here, you can see the windswept ripples in the snow.

And the choppy ice and snow here.

Here, you can sense the clapboard texture of this old barn. It's not as dramatic as it would be if this were a closeup shot, but I didn't feel like tromping all the way through that field in knee-deep snow. Sorry.
And this is my favorite...the marble on the angel's face, with her cape of snow.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love that barn shot. Very cool. That last sot is great too!
Cari

pakosta said...

these are so great! you make snow/ cold look bearable LOL! and beautiFUL!
tara

Reds said...

The two last ones are my faves! love old barns!

Kelly said...

You are absolutely right about natural textures.. Some photo's like yours just don't need the addition... Love he snow angel

Sharon said...

Great winter textures! Even the smooth snow is a texture and I'm glad you didn't trudge through it and mess it up. ;)

janett said...

I like the angel shot best too!

Rachel @ The Little Blue Room said...

Love old barns. The last 2 shots are my favs of these but they are all great.

Rachel @ The Little Blue Room said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel @ The Little Blue Room said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachael said...

These textures you found are great! I love the barn...you'll totally have to get closer to it when there isn't so much snow.

Mom2Drew said...

That snow in your second shot is sooo realistic looking, i can feel the brrrrrr.

Lou said...

Those are great natural textures.

Anonymous said...

Very nice captures!

Becca said...

Love the snow ripple shot...great texture! tfs

Jackie's Shot said...

I really like all of them but love the last two. So many great textures. ~Jackie

Krista P said...

I love the last two!

Michelle said...

oh yeah, lots of natural texture in these. I love the windswept snow. so much to see in that simple shot.

Angie Moses said...

I never tire of snow photos...we never see it here in Texas. I love the statue shot!

Margaret said...

Love the look of the ripples in the snow. I can just hear my feet crunching on it! And that poor angel looks so cold. BRRRRRR!

Anonymous said...

The last one is my favorite, too! The angel looks so old and weathered.

Diana said...

i could not agree with you more you do have some awsome textures in all of these great photos

Lori said...

LOVE the angel shot!!! It's beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I just love the one of the barn and the statue. Poetic.

Becky said...

Great texture finds, Amy. That poor angel looks miserable.

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love these scenes. I like to enhance texture by tweaking the contrast.

Linnao said...

POTD definately makes me feel COLD these days! Great pictures, beautiful angel!

Steph said...

Amy these are really great! I really like the ripple in the snow shot.