Monday, April 6, 2009

At the Tracks, and a small bit of housekeeping.

Another stop I made yesterday was down at the train station. We have a very unused train station here. The two passenger trains that have service in Erie are to Chicago at like 1:30 in the morning, and to New York City at something like 4:30 in the morning...maybe later? The train station is open from midnight to 7:30 am, if that's any indication.




So I wasn't expecting to see any big crowds of people up there at 3:00 on a Sunday. What I did find surprised me and made me a little sad. There were a couple of these huge carts, like in the picture below:

As I walked around this one taking pictures, I saw something kind of disconcerting...a pillow.



Judging by the amount of cigarette butts and footprints, this spot gets used pretty frequently.
So if you're sleeping in a bed tonight, you're pretty damn lucky, you know? No matter what else might be wrong.
Editor's Note: I wanted to say thanks to everyone who said how much they admired that I would go up to a stranger and ask to take his picture. I do it all the time! Ain't no thing but a chicken wing, people...the worst they can say is no. What I usually do is approach someone and say, "Would you mind if I took your picture? I'm studying photography." They're usually happy to oblige, although a lot of times they wonder why I'd want to photograph them in particular, in which case I make some corny joke about beauty being in the eye of the beholder, or tell them how interesting they are or something to that effect. So, to all of you who say you have wanted to do that, I wholeheartedly challenge you to do so! I think you'll be proud of yourselves if you do.

Also, in the comments on yesterday's post, "Anonymous" said they don't know how to get ahold of me and can't find my email address. Well...gee, Anonymous, do I know you? Or do you just want my email? I tell you what, I'm feeling spunky, and Gmail is pretty good at blocking spam, so I'll play along for a bit. Shoot me a line at aheadofmyability@gmail.com if you'd like.

17 comments:

Steph said...

A good perspective to have. We have lots to be thankful for.

Jason said...

Great perspective! WOW that really makes you think twice about things.

Lou said...

I am grateful for my bed, and if I had only that pillow, I'd be grateful for the cigarettes. See those wooden cable spools in your first shot. When my girls were small and money was scarce, I had one of those spools that I painted yellow and used for my dining table. I had that thing for years and was sorry to see it go when I could finally afford a proper table.

Careful--two entries in two days. I'll have to start stopping by more often. ;-)

Sara said...

I applaud you for really LOOKING around you. It's almost like there are multiple realities all at once, with a very protected overlapp, doesn't it? It always amazes me when I see it in action... and the others around me don't. I again applaud you for documenting what you see.

Margaret said...

Thanks for the good reminder to be grateful for what I have. You got some very telling shots here.

Suzy said...

LOL at your note to anonymous :).. I hope you don't get spammed! And what a cool post! I'm thankful every day for all I have. But it's nice to be reminded that others are not so lucky.

Mandy said...

That is so cool! I love the way you see things.

Sharon said...

Great captures!

Reds said...

Beautiful shots and oh so real - so many homeless around with no place to stay... So sad...

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

Nice shots and it is sad to know that someone sleeps there.

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

Nice shots and it is sad to know that someone sleeps there.

pat said...

Amy, I am always amazed at your ability to see and record the uncomfortable/sad/poignant things that most people try to overlook. That pillow and all those ciggie butts certainly tell a sad, sad story...and gives us perspective into our own circumstances.

Amy said...

Those are some odd times, I think I'd have to skip the train leaving in the middle of the night! Great shots and good reminder that when we think we have it bad, there is always someone in a worse position.

shirley said...

You are correct - I am very fortunate to have what I have. Thanks for the reminder and the images to go with.

Bobbi said...

Yay I have missed your blog, it's been awhile since we posted on the same night. Your pictures from yesterday were amazing, I am so not brave like you though :)

Angela2932 said...

You know, I'm afraid we're gong to be seeing more and more things like this, the clues that people are living on the streets or in very minimal housing.

Recently when I was with my brother and DH, and asked someone if I could take their picture, and they said "sure", so I did. Then after we left my DH and brother chastised me for making the person uncomfortable. I thought about that a bit, and how much guys don't tend to 2nd guess their impact on others' feelings as much as I see most women do, and decided they were just flat out wrong; they just didn't like a girl-type coloring outside the lines. (just my perspective!)

Kristen Wagner Penn said...

What a great reminder to be thankful.