Wednesday, April 8, 2009

I didn't even get struck by lightning!

Last Sunday afternoon, I stopped by the Russian Orthodox First Church of the Nativity. Maybe it's because I didn't actually go inside, but I was pleasantly surprised that I wasn't even struck by lightning for walking on to the property!
In all seriousness, it's a beautiful church. It's perched on a bluff overlooking the bayfront. Apparently the original church, which burned in 1986, was built there because the original Russian immigrants who made up the parish worked on the water.
I've always loved iconograpy and Eastern Christian artistry. It's very different than the representations we see in Western Christian art. Look how Jesus looks like a little grown up man here. I love that.
And I'm not even going to get into what it looks like Mary is laying in in this one.

10 comments:

Margaret said...

Beautiful church. I love the colors of the building. That last shot is amazing. The sky is so blue and the colors of the church look amazing next to it.

Lou said...

That last shot is a fantastic contrast between the onion dome and that blue, blue sky. Well done!

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

What a beautiful church. Nice color in the blue sky.

pat said...

Cool church--so different from what you usually see. Love the last shot of the onion dome against that blue sky!

janett said...

Gorgeous church, I think you captured it well!

Mandy said...

Wow...that is simply gorgeous. I love all of the details you have shown. I had to chuckle at your comment. That is how I would feel walking on the grounds now too.

Reds said...

What a beautiful church! Love the contrast of the white with the blue skies!

Jess said...

Wow, what an amazing church! So much detail!

Jackie's Shot said...

Beautiful shots and your blue sky so enhances the archetecture. ~Jackie

Suzy said...

No lightening is a good sign lol.. Great pix looks like a beautiful church!