Sunday, November 9, 2008

Gray Days

The end of daylight savings time kind of stinks for photography. I work until 4 or 4:30...sometimes a little later. It gets dark here at just after 5 now. That doesn't leave much time for taking pictures in the evenings.
Couple this with the fact that it was absolutely beautiful all week long...sunny skies, highs in the upper 60s/low 70s....until Friday. Yesterday and today have been gray and cold! As I write this, it's 41 and they're predicting some snow for tonight.
The photo above is from early October, on our wild goose chase to the Franklin Apple Festival, or whatever they call it. (It was a wild goose chase because we got a late afternoon start, then took a wrong turn, and by the time we got there at just after 5pm, everything was closed down.) Anyway, they had a pretty fountain in their park.
To avoid sounding like too much of a whiner, I'll borrow a page from my friend Rumplesnat's blog and list 5 things I'm grateful for today:
  1. A king size bed so Dan and I can sleep in what seems like separate zip codes when we want
  2. Cheddar Chex Mix
  3. Having enough money to pay the bills
  4. Finding a couple of pretty pieces for my Thanksgiving table on clearance for $5 each
  5. Old Tom and Jerry cartoons on DVD.

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend, whether it was gray or not!

17 comments:

Chell said...

I hear you on the shortage of daylight. It is killing my POTD paticipation!!

Cool picture though!!

Reds said...

I miss so much the sunshine - it seems that I never get to see it anymore!!! Great statue!

Jackie's Shot said...

I am feel sun deprived all ready and the snow hasnt even hit us yet. I hate leaving work when its dark. ~Jackie

periwinkle eye images said...

I love everything about this post! Your photo is thought-provoking and excellent photography. Your "thanks" list is inspiring! I am going to try Cheddar Chex Mix; I agree with #3; I am already on the hunt for the unique for our Thanksgiving tables.
Thanks for sharing all of this.
ML

Lori said...

Very pretty - serene looking!

Sharon said...

Nice capture! I am also NOT looking forward to even darker days of December.

Anonymous said...

Hooray for Thanksgiving at your house!

Unknown said...

It's pretty grey out here in Seattle too...makes it difficult to get inspired, doesn't it? I think I'm going to have the hunt down some of #2 on your grateful list...I love the original!

Michelle said...

oh yeah, the daylight savings time is killing me! love this statuary shot though.

Becky said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the link, Amy. And yes, I loved The Others!
This is a great statue--is that a 'twin' on the other side? I love the acid-washed color of her.

Anonymous said...

I hate day lights saving time too. Poop on the dark afternoons.

I love that you listed what you are thankful for though. That is a neat tradition. Maybe all of us should use the month of November to start listing what we are thankful for.

Kelly said...

Hooray for Tom and Jerry! We just watched Popeye and it was very heartwarming to see T enjoying it so much.

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

Nice shot of the statue. I hate that its dark so early. Nice grateful list.

Bobbi said...

I know isnt daylights savings time the worst!! I hate it cause I work till 5, blah. Love this statue its a great shot.

Suzy said...

I know what you mean about daylight. Great capture here of that statue. I like the feel of this! Oh and great list to! XOXO

Angela2932 said...

Very nice appreciation list. I miss the sunlight too!!!!!!

pat said...

I'm with you on the lack of sun. It starts getting dark here about 4:00. YUCK!!! I really love the colors in this shot---very moody and really adds to the feel.