Sunday, November 16, 2008

Where Little People Go to Retire

We took a drive yesterday to the Fisher Price Toy Museum. I took a lot of pics...I'll share them ad nauseum over the next few days, but I thought I'd start with my absolute favorite part: The Little People toys I had when I was a kid.When I was a kid, Little People were actually little. Not like those giant things with arms and legs the kids today have. If you were dumb enough to put one in your mouth, you deserved it if it got lodged in your windpipe, I guess.There were four of us kids in my family, and we were all born just two years apart from each other, so we mostly liked the same kind of stuff at the same time. I guess that was nice for my mom because she could get one toy and we'd all play with it.
We weren't very well off, so I know a lot of our toys came from the thrift stores and yard sales. But one lucky day, the Little People Fairy came down from Fisher Price Heaven and blessed us. A lady up the street had kids much older than us, and they'd outgrown all their kid toys. We ended up hitting the Little People jackpot!
All of a sudden, we had enough Little People sets to build a whole town! There was the A-Frame house, so exotic!
There was the camper, with its cute little charcoal grill, and the molded seats were the Little People could relax.

There was the airport, with the helicoptor and the jet!
There was the school bus. (He's out of focus here, but remember the sad and mad Little People? We always assumed they were the bullies)
There was the school, which I loved, and by God, SESAME STREET! With Hooper's STORE! (In the display here, poor Mr. Hooper is taking a rest. At least that's what they told Big Bird.)
See the swing set and merry-go-round? We'd always have "accidents" where the Little People would fly off their swings or off the merry-go-round and have to go see the "school nurse," which was the Little People lady with the blonde chignon. Remember her?But my favorite thing was the castle! I loved that thing!See that turret on the right where the prince is standing? There was a nice little trap door. I used to make my little brother stick his arm down there and he'd get stuck. I swear I did that to him multiple times. Apparently he wasn't a quick learner.

10 comments:

Sharon said...

Cool!

We never had these growing up. (I may be too old.) But I remember playing with these when I baby-sat. ;)

pat said...

Oh my gosh! I remember these--my DD had a lot of them. (oooh, just dated myself!) Love these, Amy, and can't wait to see more! LOL at Mr. Hooper. Poor Big Bird!

Kelly said...

I'm so freaking giddy right now, I can't stand myself! I thought the blizzard we are having was enough to make my night, but there you go again, making me proud! I LOVED this stuff!!!

Liz said...

OMGosh I love little people. We weren't well off growing up either, but we had a few sets of little people. The airport, hospital, farm and the A-frame. Ooooh how I loved that little house.
These are great photos and were such a walk down memory lane. :)

Anonymous said...

A trip down Little Memory Lane. LOL

Mom2Drew said...

Oh how i remember all of these. That Seseme Street especially, I had that. My MIL JUST gave us the Children's hospital from when my DH was little and now, my boys are playing with it. It goes for $150 on ebay. Hmmm....

Kristen Wagner Penn said...

Oh how fun! My DS is beside me asking for all of the "new" toys lol!

Angela2932 said...

I love these! I had them for my children, and am glad it was before they were considered "too little." They made it safely through that time, and got to have so much fun with these toys. Seeing these photos brings back fond memories.

Bobbi said...

What a cool place to visit! I love all the colorful little people. I wasnt much of a toy person as a kid, more of a bookworm.

AoMA's Andy said...

Thank you for showing me these, beautiful. I love how your mind works. :)

The castle ruled! And...they were made of wood! I remember the King losing half his circular ring-legs to a Black Lab. Horrible accident; the King really doesn't like to talk about it. He could only sit in his throne or another deep chair or fell over sideways.