Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Last Bees of Summer?

It's starting to get colder here...it was around 55 when I got up this morning! These bees I shot a couple of weeks back may be the last ones I see this year. (Or not...they come out on warm fall days too, and there's always the transparent beehive at Asbury Woods.)


It's impossible to tell in these pics because there's no frame of reference, but I swear these were the largest bees I've ever seen in my life. They had to be at least 3 inches long...I snapped these quick shots and then stepped away.


14 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65I0HNvTDH4



WATCH THAT!!!
Oh, and...
Guess who, Lil Mama.
:D

Reds said...

3 inches??!!! Scary!! Great shots!

Jess said...

Holy cow those are big bees! They look like a nice trip to the hospital to me... being allergic and all...lol. But I still would have photographed them, I like to live on the edge. :)

Angela2932 said...

Wonderful close-ups, but way too close for comfort!

Becky said...

Three inches? Those are some big bees. Isn't it funny how it's all relative and three inches is considered big in this case? :-D

Sharon said...

These do look pretty large!

Nice captures!

Mom2Drew said...

We have these kind of bees too, I always get surprised when I see one.

Bring on the cold weather!

Joanne Fowler said...

WOW! Those are huge! Great shots!!!

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

Nice color. They look huge.

Anonymous said...

3 inches??? Are you sure they weren't birds??

Angela J. Prieto said...

Awesome shots Amy but you are very brave. I hate bees!!

Anonymous said...

Still having trouble guessing, Lil Mama?

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsCKBLv_aAY

Never gona LET.YOU.DOWN.


It's an ongoing mystery, isn't it, Lil Mama?

Suzy said...

Great color! These are cool!