Friday, September 19, 2008

More Ashtabula Harbor

Ashtabula Harbor had a couple of neat bookends.

At one end was this really neat arch. It looks like some kind of industrial bridge with a track, but it wasn't big enough for a train. I couldn't find any way not involving a boat to get any closer, but I loved the arch against the sky.

And then in the other direction was this drawbridge. It looked like it's under repair right now, but it still made a neat picture.
Oh, and I think it was Becky who asked (I could be wrong)...it's pronounced "Ash-tuh-BYOU-lah," and you're right. It does roll off the tongue!

7 comments:

Sharon said...

That bridge is cool.

My guess is that is a conveyor for the iron ore that comes through that port.

Jess said...

These are GORGEOUS! That arch thing is so cool. And the sunflare in the last shot-- WOWSERS! :)

Becky said...

It does roll off the tongue, but I like my pronunciation better. :-D Beautiful colors in these shots!

Joanne Fowler said...

Gorgeous sky and the first bridge is gorgeous too! The "drawbridge" is kind of creey looking - hope they get it fixed soon!

Anonymous said...

I love the sun flair in the last one. So beautiful, and the sky is so blue.

Anonymous said...

Look at those blues!

Anonymous said...

The arch is part of a conveyor system which transfers coal from the east bank to the west bank and eventually out to sea on bulk lake carriers.