Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Nebo Chapel

On Sunday, we stopped by Nebo Lutheran Chapel along Route 6 in Mount Jewett. Actually, I drove by and saw this from the road. I immediately turned the car around because I had to take some photos.
The chapel was built by immigrants in 1887 and is patterned after a church near Stockholm, Sweden.
There were lots of Swedish names on the tombstones in the churchyard and a mix of older and more recent graves.
Unfortunately, there was a pretty steady drizzle right then, so I didn't get to explore as much as I would have liked.
But I did find this beautiful stone...it looks like a seashell cradling the baby.



14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that second photo...love it. What a beautiful place!
Cari

Becky said...

What a beautiful church, and I love paths with fallen autumn leaves on them. The last photo looks like an ultrasound. :-D

Reds said...

That path is so beautiful!!! Too bad it started to rain and you couldn't explore some more!

Anonymous said...

More photos of gravestones to add to your collection. The child is like the pearl in an oyster. Beautiful.

For Over 29 Years... said...

OH wow, that is beautiful I would have stopped also!

Cindi Koceich said...

Sooo cool! It looks like the church is glowing at the end of the path!!!

Michelle said...

what a beautiful church! I don't blame you at all for turning around.

Suzy said...

That first one is amazing! What a beautiful chapel to!

Sharon said...

Cool church. The second photo is great!

Anonymous said...

Very neat. There is something so spooky about this series of photos.

Kerry said...

That second shot is beautiful!!

Bobbi said...

These are so great. I just love cemetaries and your processing really fits that mood. That chapel is adorable.

Azul said...

Oh I love the photos,

May I ask what photo shop you did on the church.

Beth
azul1@gru.net

Kristen Wagner Penn said...

Very beautiful! That seashell one is heartbreaking to me but beautiful just the same.