Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Brave Ones

Last Saturday while running an errand downtown, Liam wanted to stop by the dock. We were lucky enough to find our local firefighters running a training exercise, rappelling off the Bicentennial Tower.

I have a special admiration for firefighters, more than any other public servants. They're a special breed, I think.

It was a crappy day for photos, though...very cloudy!

We hung around a watched for 15 or 20 minutes and I was really taken with how human these guys seemed. A couple of them were kind of hesitant to go off the edge (understandably so), and you could hear the man at the top of the tower giving them instruction and encouragement, while the guys below watched carefully and cheered them on. I didn't hear anyone razzing anyone else, which impressed me.
In general, everyone on the ground was pretty intent on the ones coming down the ropes...
but we all know that training can be tiring, and one might need a rest from time to time.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liam must have loved watching that!!

Jess said...

Wow, yeah, I would have been scared to death to repel off that tower! How cool that you guys got to watch, I bet Liam was LOVING that! :)

Reds said...

Yup - firefighters are heros!!! Love your action shots - got some great ones!!

Sharon said...

Love those butt shots. ;)

10ecscrapper said...

You are so lucky to get to get out and see the things you do......I am SO jealous.

Again, another great set of photos.

Can you email off post? I have a question about some photos I took this past weekend. (Photoshop question)

Azul said...

You know until you see the first photo you understand how high they were up. wow, Thanks for the photo's. And I agree you have to love a fireman...

Amy ~ Just Being Aimlyss said...

These are very cool! I like how you took a series and we're able to see the entire process. :)

Margaret said...

Way cool shots. What a fun thing for Liam to see!

Anonymous said...

Amy, I look from time to time - just to see the pictures you've taken. I'm amazed at the colors, the content, and the knack you have for capturing everything just right!

Beautiful pictures - okay, the fireman are hunky but your fall ones are gorgeous!

Suzy said...

Oh how fun and what awesome shots! My boys would have flipped to see that!