Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Gravestones: They're not all somber and mournful.

All gravestones are not sad and somber.
Last night we went to Wintergreen Gorge Cemetery. This cemetery is not far from where Dan grew up and he and his friends used to play here sometimes as kids.
As we walked through the cemetery, at first I was bummed that most of the stones were relatively new. There was no gothic art or statuary like I usually gravitate towards. Then I started looking around.
Wintergreen Gorge Cemetery has more funny gravestones than I've ever seen. Granted, a lot of them were unintentionally hilarious, but some of them were very irreverant and just downright funny on purpose.

Here are a few examples of unintentional hilarity:


a bellowing elk
bears getting ready to fight over a salmon
a cockatoo (shudder)


An owl (just like last year's scrappy stuff!)
This body builder that reminded me of the old comic book ads: "You can go from a 98-pound weakling to the picture of vim and vigor in just one week! Impress the girls!"


The etching of the couple here reminded me of a prom invitation, where the theme would be "A Night on the Boardwalk"



Clowns. If these were on a kid's grave, that would be sad, but since they're on a grown woman's, it's funnyscary.

Sorry, but a quote from the song "Freebird," paired with an angry eagle flying into what looks like a comet that will destroy the earth is just funny.
The "Footprints" poem is ALWAYS funny.
The picture of this couple is only funny because at first glance I thought they were both men (not that there's anything wrong with that!) but apparently the one on your right is named Theresa.

The fact that these arms look severed instead of ethereal is funnyscarygross.

These two had a lot of diverse interests: Dale Earnhardt, the Quad Games, motorcycles with sidecars, old computers, and bad Bette Midler songs.

"SUNDAY, SUNDAY!!!! Monster truck rally! See car-crushing action with BIGFOOT!!" (and what's with that dog's snout?)

"Dogs and cats, living together....mass hysteria!!" (Name That Quote!)And finally....she doesn't really look like she loves him more. She looks like she's tired of him playing that silly game. She looks like she wants to say, "Ok. You love me more."

Tomorrow: Intentional hilarity. You will NOT believe your eyes.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are great...they put a little smile on my face!
Cari

Anonymous said...

LMFAO!!!!! I can't even pick a favorite at this moment, but the last one just might be my screen saver for the next few days. Oh...and your quote...Bill Murray from Ghostbusters.

Anonymous said...

I just love the saw-whet owl engraving! Anyone who engraves stones like this has to be an amazing artist!

Mom2Drew said...

That's some real personal touches on some of these, wow.

Amy said...

These are too funny! I've never been to a graveyard like this one! Great shots!

Anonymous said...

Those are so interesting...and strangely entertaining! I think my favorite one (for humor's sake) is the one with the monster trucks. I mean...seriously? LOL

It takes all kinds.

Reds said...

Never seen headstones like that!!! Makes for an interesting walk!! And funny pics too! ;)

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

Nice shots.

Jess said...

OMG... I am glad I was done with my coffee or I'd be covered in it by now! These are so funny- I can't wait to see the ones who actually MEANT to be humorous! ;)

Anonymous said...

LOL! My favorite is the last stone but only because your interpretation of the wife's expression is so right on.

Margaret said...

Amazing variety you found there. Who knew you could find such humor at a cemetery!

Anonymous said...

When you see only one set of footprints, that's when I headed to the hot dog stand for a quick bite to eat and a sno-cone.

Anonymous said...

Oh Amy- you wicked girl! So glad someone else finds these hysterical-I always feel like I am going to be struck down by lightning or something when I poke fun at goofy headstones.
Thanks for the giggle!
mary