Wednesday, July 16, 2008

On gossamer wings

I think these are damselflies rather than dragonflies. I found them at Wintergreen Gorge and they were rather calm as damselflies go, more than happy to wait for me to take a shot or two. A couple of them are on the grainy side but I liked the composition anyway.

And you know how they say sometimes that hot girls have a plain friend they hang with to make themselves look better? (I wouldn't know, by the way, unless perchance I was the plain friend!) Anyway, this plain brown damselfly hanging out with the flashier blues made me think of that. You're beautiful in your own right, Brownie!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

That second to last photo is amazing...Love them all.
Cari

Angela2932 said...

These are wonderful! I'm amazed that you can get such clarity with these since they probably didn't sit still for very long for you! I love that irridescent streak of blue in the flashy one!

Reds said...

So delicate - that last shot is awesome!

pat said...

Amy, these are great captures--I know how fast those things flit around! Love that irridescent blue. YUM!

Anonymous said...

very nice! i love the color of the little bug.

summerbl4ck said...

the ones against the tree really make the insect stand out! Beautiful color and texture

Sara said...

I can't believe it, I'm seeing beauty in a bug. Ewww. But striking. Amazing captures.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, Amy, they are like inky silhouettes--so beautiful. You are getting amazing shots with your camera!

Mom2Drew said...

Your journaling is cute.

So...what is the difference between a damsel and a dragonfly anyway?

Jess said...

These are amazing! They look so dainty. :)

Debbi said...

great shots - detail is terrific.

Bobbi said...

I love your point of view so much. These are some great comps for sure!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you were able to capture them so well! Really lovely.

♥ Amy said...

Fantastic photos!! I absolutely love that first one! So clear and great composition.

Tori said...

they have such pretty colors! even the brown one! ;)

Sharon said...

These are wonderful!