Sunday, July 6, 2008

Heyyyyyyy batter batter batter....

Last night we went to a bat show at Presque Isle. Presque Isle is a great place and we go there a lot but I neglect to check the activities put on by the naturalists! We're missing out on a lot of stuff.
The evening began with a brief lecture on bats. See how enthralled Liam was?

The naturalist then lead us down to an area that's generally off-limits to the public. Those are bat boxes. I have a handout that shows how to construct your own if you're interested!

Then it was time to wait until dusk for the bats to emerge. We counted as they flew...too fast for me to get pictures of course...and saw at least 125 exit the group of boxes shown here. By the time it got fully dark and we were ready to go, we figured all the bats had to be gone so I ventured over to the boxes to see if I could get a shot...

3 bats left in the smaller box....
But the bigger box still had quite a supply! I hightailed it out of there right quick. They say it's a myth that bats want to fly into your hair, but I wasn't taking any chances.

14 comments:

Reds said...

Must have been an interesting lecture... but I wouldn't go near bats for sure!

For Over 29 Years... said...

Oooh that's creapy! How did Liam like the bats flying around?

Sharon said...

Yuck!

I know they eat mosquitos but I don't want to see them.

Mom2Drew said...

want to know something? I have a secret fascination with bats, although I don't how I'd react to them in real life. Very cool.

Anonymous said...

The term "naturalist" sounds like a politically correct term for someone who belongs to a nudist colony.

Anonymous said...

Wow, it's like they are shelved in those boxes--how intriguing.

Anonymous said...

WOW...those are awesome. Bats kind of freak me out, but I still they they are really neat.

Jess said...

OMG! I'm with you, I wouldn't have taken any chances either. I HAVE had a bat get tangled in my hair before and it was the scariest thing! I still freak out a little when I see a bat in the sky.... *shiver*

Tori said...

there is no way i would've been able to go to that! i'm so afraid of bats.... cool pictures though!

Tori said...

there is no way i would've been able to go to that! i'm so afraid of bats.... cool pictures though!

Anonymous said...

You are one brave person. No way I'm getting my hair (myth or not) that close to a bat home... Great photo though.

Amy said...

That place would creep me out beyond belief, I'm terrified of bats! We had one fly in our house about a year ago, I wanted to move and I also had a bat fly into my hair when I was about 10. That is definitely not true. I was in an outdoor shower.

♥ Amy said...

Oooh, brave girl. I'm not sure I would have gotten that close. Really neat seeing them in the box!

Angela2932 said...

On our trip to Mexico this summer, we rappelled down into a cenote and floated around in water. I was shocked enough that I actually did this, and then looked up and saw that in this tiny, narrow, well-like cave were bats flying around all above us! I'm just glad I didn't know what I was in for in advance! This sounds like a really cool talk you went to and I love the "enthralled" Liam!