Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Maybe magnolias?

(I have absolutely no idea what these flowers are...I'm guessing magnolias from what I've been able to find online. They're on a short tree at Asbury Woods, close to the bridge that spans Walnut Creek. If one of my more horticulturally-inclined friends has a clue, feel free to let me know --Ed.)
I take many, many pictures of flowers and leaves. Each flower is so fascinating to me. Until I became more interested in photography, flowers were nothing special. Now, I find myself drawn to their construction and growth process.


I stood for about 20 minutes taking pictures of these blossoms from every angle. I love the texture in the petals and the hint of color on the very edges.
I find that there aren't many words that could adequately describe these pictures. At the risk of seeming a big sap, I'll let them speak for themselves.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here in CA, magnolias are trees, pretty sizable trees. See the little cleft in the center edge of the petals? That makes me think these are magnolia blossoms. I like the views you took, sort of catching the blooms from the side or behind.

Anonymous said...

Stunning flowers and I bet they smelled wonderful!

Elsie said...

Beautiful, Amy! I especially like the ones with lots of green because the play between the creamy flowers and the deep green leaves is lovely.

Anonymous said...

Or are they dogwood?