Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Freaky Treeeeeeee



In the cemetery, we saw this gnarled tree. Of course, it grabbed my interest at first glance, but as I started snapping photos of it, it became apparent that this was not just any gnarled tree.


It was, in fact, the FREAKIEST TREE OF ALL TIME.

See the big branch that looks just like a snake?

There were swirls and incredible patterns...


branches turned back on themselves...

and improbable growth in various directions.


But the freakiest part was only apparent from the other side. See the "man" sitting in the tree?

I made a clumsy attempt at leaving the "man" in color here:

And cropped for a closer view. Now, I would be completely amazed if anyone but me "got" this reference, but did you ever see the John Huston epic The Bible: In the Beginning"? When the serpent first tempts Eve with the apple, he does not yet look like a snake. He looks like a strange alien man hiding behind the leaves of the tree. That's what this tree-man reminded me of.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, that IS freaky! I could see the man even before you did the color trick. What a great tree! Wouldn't it be tragic if someone pruned it??

Anonymous said...

I love it that you can leave color like that. I couldn't see the man well until the last photo, and wow. Maybe you should go to see the Trees of Mystery with me and Elsie in July. :D

Anonymous said...

Great job on that header!! I like the fonts, the white on the letters, your choice of photos--everything. And if I haven't said it already, I really admire the title you chose for your blog.