Sunday, March 23, 2008

Inspired by Lou

My friend Lou takes the best macro shots ever. Since I always tell her I want to be just like her when I grow up, I decided today would be a good day to practice.
The only thing I don't like about Lou is that she lives in California. It makes me jealous, since she's well into spring, with actual flowers and leaves and short sleeves. Hell, most of the stuff that populates her jaw-dropping photos is actually considered more summerly here. Meanwhile, here in the woolly wilds of Northwestern Pennsylvania, I'm lucky to find a few buds or some sprouts.

One quick aside before we get to the pictures: one might get the impression from reading my obsessive posts about my deep longing for spring that spring is my favorite season. As McLaughlin would say, "WRONG!" Summer is my favorite season. I like heat and green and walks in the woods and going to creeks. Spring is cool too, but mostly only because it is the gateway to summer.

And now, some hot macro action. I don't have an actual macro lens yet, so this is just what my camera can do on its own.

In spring, first will come the forsythia.

The lilacs won't bloom until May...

but they're thinking about it.



And meanwhile, over in the side yard, a daffodil is fighting its way through the rocks.

And across the street, the hedges have these leftovers from last autumn. (And no, I don't know what kind of hedges these are. I'm a wanna-be photographer, not a wanna-be botanist!)

Now, for the next few macro shots, I felt it necessary to the story to show a wide view. I thought about putting this shot after the close-ups; maybe creating some kind of "what could it be?" type queries for the headings. But it's going on midnight and I don't have the energy.
Anyway, this is my neighbor's tree.

See the hints of green here and there? Look closer.



And finally...lest you think that I strolled around taking pictures all day, I also cooked Easter dinner, and we all stuffed our faces.


Tomorrow: cemetery pics and a FREAKY tree.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Amy, look how the light bounces off those little nubs of bulb shoots, and I love the depth you got on the forsynthia stems. Your camera can take very good shots!! It's like Rafael tells me--"You have a good camera. Practice." :) I am honored that my photos inspire you, but the feeling is mutual. And look at that family Easter table!!

Laura Fiore said...

Great shots Amy! I love Liam in the last one...so reminds me of my kid!

Kara said...

Amy--your photography skills are amazing. I need to take the tiem to learn. Love all the shots, the ones fromthe water are especially great!!!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful spring shots, Amy! I especially love that very first one. No...wait...I'm lying. I especially love the picture of YOUR HAM!! Pineapple rings and maraschino cherries...you know how to do it right!! :-)

Amy said...

Glad you clarified, Else, because when you said "ham," at first I thought you were talking about Liam. ;-)