Wednesday, October 15, 2008

12th Street Part IV

The Newco Electric building sits at the corner of 12th and Myrtle. I'm not sure what this building used to be, because it's old. What drew me to it was the mass of vines.

The vines creep from the west; from the east side of the building, they're not apparent at all, and they haven't yet engulfed the front...
but they're gaining on it.
The vines, a lush green all summer, have begun to look like they're on fire with crimson and orange.
It's a beautiful thing.
Lens update: My lenses finally came today! I'm highly impressed so far with the 70-300. I have a newbie-stupid confession though. I don't exactly know what I was thinking...the Nikon came with an 18-55 mm lens and for some reason, I ordered a pair of Sigmas and one of them is an 18-50. (duh!) So in other words for the not-so-dslr-inclined, I basically duplicated the same lens. I'm sure the Nikon VR will serve me a bit better than the Sigma, so I imagine I'll probably sell the Sigma somewhere. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm open to them!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooo I love old buildings. Great captures.

Anonymous said...

Gosh the colors of those vines is beautiful...great shots.!
Cari

Reds said...

What a beautiful building!!! Love the vines climbing up!! And as for your lens... that is something I could have done!! ;)

Mom2Drew said...

That's some awesome color!

pat said...

Amy, such a cool series of shots! I love it when ivy overtakes these old buildings, and to capture the fall colors--wow! Really like your creative angles and POV, too.

Michelle said...

love all that color!

as for the lens, did you buy from a store or an individual? if a store, can you send it back? if an individual, you can try ILP. I've sold a few lenses over there.

Jackie's Shot said...

Really nice captures.Great colors. ~Jackie

Becky said...

That is so cool! And kind of creepy if you've read the book or seen the movie The Ruins. :-D
Would you be able to return the lens since it was just a few days ago? Also, are they completely comparable or just comparable in focal length? For instance how fast is the Sigma compared to the Nikon?

jewels said...

I love the color in these, and I like that you were photographing at so many new and fun angles! :)

Cheers,
jewels

Sharon said...

The vine is cool but I hate to think of all the damage it is doing to that wonderful building.

Nice captures!

Anonymous said...

Rafael just sold a lens for me on Craig's List. You could try something like that, look for a local buyer, save yourself packing and shipping.

Those vines are so stunning!

Anonymous said...

Miss you and hope all is well.