Sunday, October 19, 2008

Impromptu Weekend Part 1: The Butterfly Conservatory

If you've read my blog more than a couple of times, you probably know I'm a pretty impetuous person. On Friday at work, I decided it would be nice to head up to Niagara Falls for the weekend. I found a decent hotel deal on the Internets, packed some stuff on Friday night, and off we went on Saturday. Our first stop once we got across the border was the Niagara Parks Butterfly Conservatory. (It's all about priorities. The falls are open all night...the butterfly conservatory closes at 4:30!)
The conservatory is in a giant greenhouse, filled with tropical plants and hundreds (thousands?) of free-flying butterflies.

I have no idea of the names of all the different varieties we saw...but they were all amazingly beautiful.


I'm still learning the ins and outs of the telephoto macro and the shallow depth of field, but for the most part it was okay!

And one of the coolest things about the place is the way the butterflies will just land on you. (This is one of about 15 shots of different butterflies landing on Em!)Hope you all had a good weekend too! Parts 2-? coming up next!

10 comments:

Margaret said...

Oh my goodness! Those butterfly shots are just amazing! I love all the different colors. So many different varieties. What a fun impromptu trip!

Anonymous said...

Those butterfly shots are amazing!!! WOW!
Cari

Chell said...

Wow these are great. it is fun to see butterflies this time of the year.

Jackie's Shot said...

Great job. You are getting such great photos with your new camera. I bet you're thrilled. The conservatory is really neat. ~Jackie

Becky said...

Ooh, I'm in butterfly heaven!

Reds said...

Those are so pretty!! Love butterflies!! Always wanted to go visit a place like that! Can't wait to see more of your awesome weekend!!

Anonymous said...

Nothing like butterflies for practicing with the new macro. Gorgeous!

Amy ~ Just Being Aimlyss said...

These are gorgeous!!! My favorites are the sixth and eighth from the top, so cool! :)

Amy ~ Just Being Aimlyss said...

These are gorgeous!!! My favorites are the sixth and eighth from the top, so cool! :)

Angela2932 said...

Oh, how cool! It looks like a butterfly-shower! What a macro-heaven! I'm looking forward to Part II.