Monday, October 20, 2008

Impromptu Weekend Part 2: The Gardens and the Gorge


The butterfly conservatory is on the grounds of the Niagara Falls Botanical Garden. It was beautiful even at this time of year, but I have a feeling spring would be the best time to come.

Still, they did a beautiful job with the landscaping.

(Em's in this funny habit lately of jumping into my shots at the last minute.)(Especially for Pete: Proof that the whole family came along. I know, we're not in a "Family Feud" type-pose. Give me a day or two.)The gardens are right across the street from the gorge. This section of the gorge is down river from the falls and the whirlpool area.

It was especially pretty with the fall colors.(Look, Pete! It's the kids!)
(They get tired of pictures pretty quickly.)
We headed upriver and stopped where they do the Whirlpool AeroCar rides. Heck NO I didn't get on that thing.

Here, the river takes a sharp bend, creating a whirlpool off to one side. They also have these huge jetboats that go across the whirlpool. (And no, I didn't go on that either.)

Apparently there are trails that go down through the gorge and you can stand at the water's edge. Em wanted to go until I reminded her that when you walk down, you have to walk back up. That black dot in the bottom center of this picture is a person.

We stood on the platform and watched as the AeroCar made its journey across the gorge and back.
And after I once again silently gave thanks for being on solid ground, it was time to head over to our hotel. The pool was calling out to Liam.

19 comments:

Reds said...

Haven't been to Niagara Falls in over 20 years - love the colors and sites you captured!!

pat said...

Wow--what a gorgeous area! LOVE love the gorge shots--the combo of those fall colors and that stunning water color is fabulous. Are you having fun with the new camera???

Mom2Drew said...

AHHHHmazing! and those fall colors are to DIE for! Looks like you and your new camera are reallygetting along.

Chell said...

Looks so pretty there. LOVE the fall colors..

Sharon said...

Things sure have changed since I was there (so many years ago!) The gardens are wonderful and Em cracks me up!

Jess said...

These are AWESOME! I'm with you... no WAY would I have set foot on that aerocar! Yikes!

Erika said...

Beautiful shots! Love the red flower!

Cindi Koceich said...

What a beautiful place! I would so have a heart attack if I had to ride in that car thing over the water! shudder!!

Jackie's Shot said...

Wow that aero ride looks even scarier in your Great pics. No way would I try that one. ~Jackie

For Over 29 Years... said...

Wow what a cool place! You look so high up, but I would love to ride in that thing. Wahoo!

Anonymous said...

Been there many times.
Your photos brought back many happy memories. Thanks.
The Bureau of Tourism should hire you, Amy!

Anonymous said...

I think you have picked a perfect time of year to visit. Wow...so lovely.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Just WOW!

Becky said...

Em's a photo bomber! I want you to plan my weekends. :-) Love the blue water of the gorge surrounded by all that fall color.

Margaret said...

These shots are so incredible. What a beautiful location and such amazing color!

jewels said...

The fall colors are to die for! :) I wish we lived near there! :)

Cheers,
jewels

Suzy said...

Gorgeous simply gorgeous shots. And lol about your dd jumping in at the last min. That says something about her personality to me. I'll bet she's fun to be around!

Laura Fiore said...

Hi Amy! Good Lord WOMAN--your photos are so stinkin' amazing! Love the beautiful Fall colors showing up and your flowers are stunning!

Miss you over at ACOT...they want you to come say HI!

Anonymous said...

Hey, you know where you should visit next???
ACHERRYONTOP!!!!

:)

Your fall pics are AMAZING.