Monday, October 6, 2008

Fences

As you drive along Route 5 in New York State, you'll come across a parking area somewhat west of the Dunkirk/Barcelona area. It's a pretty place...this is what it looks like as you walk past the picnic tables. You can walk all the way down to Lake Erie.


When you get to the edge, you'll see a fence. This keeps you from walking off the cliff, which I guess is about 50 feet high or so, give or take.
When you look through the fence, you'll see the beautiful lake...but at a distance. On Sunday, I didn't want to be fenced in and kept at a distance. So even though the edge beyond the fence is only about five feet wide or so, Dan and I found a gap at one end and slipped through.
What I saw when I looked over the edge was incredible:
The lake was so crystal-clear. I've never seen it so clear. Plus, the lake bottom around Erie is mostly sand or small rocks. I never knew there were spots like this, with great slabs and chunks of rock. It was like looking at a creek.
These pictures come the closest I could come to showing the scale of how high we were.
In the distance, I could see the cliffs of the surrounding shoreline.And here's a spot where the bluff gave way. Hopefully no fools like me were standing there at the time!But the shots I got were so pretty...And believe me, I did my best to stay safe!

14 comments:

pat said...

Oh wow Amy! I never woudld've had the nerve to stand at the edge like that, but those shots of the lake bed are AWESOME! Really like the cliff shots, too. What a pretty place!

Margaret said...

You are brave! It makes me shiver to think how scared I would have been to do that, but you got some incredible shots! So beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Ditto to the previous posts on the fact that I, too, could NEVER have enough courage to get that close to the cliff edge and get those shots!
Great photography and commentary as well.
thanks for sharing them.
you seem to be living your bliss and sharing it with all of us. Your photography makes the world around us seem more alive and more important.
bojosmom signing in as anonymous cuz I am too harried to sign back in to wordpress! ;-)

Reds said...

Glad there was a tree to hang on - that's quite a cliff!! But great shots - that lake is so clear!!

10ecscrapper said...

Nice photos as usual. I love the clear water! Wow I never knew the great lakes had water that clear. It does look like a creek bed.

I love your adventous spirit to get the shot.......

Anonymous said...

Ah, tectonic plates and faultlines--the earth so beautiful. Makes me wonder if fences make clear water. I always LOVE when you tell stories with your photos because you combine beauty, wit, and some good information. Thanks, Amy. :-)

Donnah Ciempka said...

You are one brave lady, but what cool shots as a result.

Cindi Koceich said...

Wowzers!!! Love these!! My favorite is the horizon shot with the brush of tree on the edge.
Love the shot of you shooting behind the tree...that is classic!!

Jess said...

Wow, absolutely AMAZING! I can't believe how CLEAR the lake water is! I am so glad you were a "tree hugger" and stayed safe though... that looks REALLY high up! :)

carrie said...

Wonderful photos! You have such a natural ability with your photography and your narration of them make them so much more powerful!

Sharon said...

Great captures and narrative.

Anonymous said...

goddammit dan! put down the guitar and push!

Anonymous said...

The striations in the rock are so detailed and beautiful!

Amy said...

Shut up and go look at Liz S's photos, Pete! :-p