Thursday, October 23, 2008

Impromptu Weekend Part 4: Hallowed Ground

On Sunday, after checking out of the hotel and enduring a crappy breakfast, we stopped at the Drummond Hill Cemetery and Lundy's Lane Battleground.
I really like cemeteries anyway, so I would have liked to have stopped no matter what, but this place was special in that it was apparently also the site of the "bloodiest battle of the War of 1812," fought on July 25th, 1814.

I loved the old wrought-iron fence, and there were a lot of really old graves.
I loved this large one identifying the mother and father, while the children had small stones on either side.
I saw lots of the 1800s theme of willow trees and the optimistic index finger pointed heavenward. (I might as well warn you right now...I took so many shots, this topic will stretch into tomorrow's post as well.)
A lot of the oldest graves had fallen and were laid out flat on the ground.


The battleground monument was at the front of the cemetery and it was touching. (More detail tomorrow.)

I turned around at one point and caught Liam in a reflective moment, appreciating the beauty of the architecture. (If you think that sounds a little deep for an 8-year-old, you haven't heard much about Liam. He's a different breed like his mom.)

Stay tuned tomorrow...I have more to show you.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are great. Love the fact that they are black and white. Really adds to the feel of the photos!
Cari

pat said...

I have been waiting to see what you show us! I knew you would run like crazy with this week's theme. What a massively cool cemetary! Love love the old headstones; they are really beautiful. The B&W works perfectly.

S.Kremer said...

You got some really nice shots here. You b&w conversions are awesome. Great job:)
Shawna (shawkrem)

Vanessa said...

These are amazing. I almost want to feel spooked but instead feel awed looking at them.

Anonymous said...

These are kind of spooky! WOW. Gives me chills just looking at them.

Sharon said...

Great captures! Love that gate!

Becky said...

I knew we'd see all kinds of cool graveyard photos from you this week!

Suzy said...

These graveyard shots are amazing! I love that gate!

Bobbi said...

I love your b/w's for these shots. The conversion really just fits the mood of the pictures.

Anonymous said...

Did you shoot in b&w or desaturate? Why is it that gravestones look so much graveier without the vivid color. My favorite parts here are the names of the departed. Brodie. Wonderful.