Friday, April 4, 2008

The beach, part 2


The winter is hard on the beaches of Presque Isle, especially at the tip, where we visited Thursday. While most of the ice dunes have melted, there are still remnants.
The sand is frozen and sculpted into improbable shapes.



This beach is unguarded and not easy to reach, so it doesn't get as much traffic as most of the others. The mineral deposits you can see in the sand are the result of a shipwreck from 1932 that has been left mostly buried.




The potholes are the result of the ice dunes. As the ice thaws and recedes, these will fill in.

The ice dunes themselves can be dangerous. When they're fullsize, they extend out over the water, and it's impossible to tell where the beach ends. Also, due to the way they're constructed, they can be unstable in some places. It's easy to fall through. Today, though, it was safe enough to explore them.


I took about 25 shots, just trying to catch a drop falling from this icicle.

My trigger finger isn't too fast, and it wasn't until after I got home that I thought of maybe using the burst shot function. DUH! If I get out there while there's still ice, I'll give that a try.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh look at that drop--really beautiful! I am intrigued by your photos and explanation of Lake Erie, as I have no experience whatsoever with frozen water, especially such a large body of water. These are wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Amazing photos, Amy! I love reading your blog and seeing your pictures because they are so different from anything we ever get to see around here! And I love your teaching style too, Ms. Moody. :-)

Laura Fiore said...

Wow Amy--your photos are awesome! I am loving all of the nature stuff...I need to be more in awe of the nature around me.


I tagged you on my blog...come over if you wanna play! http://barelyhanginon.blogspot.com/