Friday, April 11, 2008

New toys to play with.

I've told you before about The Pioneer Woman, right? (http://www.thepioneerwoman.com/) She's fab and rad and a bunch of other adjectives. Anyway, I've been picking up lots of my mad Photoshop skillz from her. And today, she unveiled her new free set of actions. I'm like a kid on Christmas morning! Grab them here: http://thepioneerwoman.com/photography/2008/04/actions/


Now, last Saturday, Emily had to be at the high school at the ungodly hour of 5am for a speech and debate trip. After I dropped her off, I decided to drive into New York state over to the Indian reservation. (Cheap smokes, don'tcha know.) It was still pitch black when I set out, of course, but I figured that by the time I got there and headed home, there'd be some opportunity for pictures. (Note: All of the pictures that follow use PW's yummy new actions.
My straight-out-of-camera shot

PW's Black and White action


PW's Fresh and Colorful action with Edge Burn

PW's Soft and Faded action


Another sight I saw on my drive:
In Dunkirk, NY, right on Lake Erie, there's a little community called Sunset Bay. Lots of cottages and stuff right on the beach. I drove down there and was amazed by the scene:




This sand is drifted just like snow would be. Now, I suppose it makes sense that people who live right on the beach would have to deal with something like this, but it's one of those things I'd never seen or thought about. I was struck by the idea that it looks like the beach is trying to reclaim the houses.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Hello,I was wondering if you got help me work my actions from the Pioneer woman,I have the CS3 program,and I have no idea how to work it. any help would be so helpful to me.

Anonymous said...

I think I like the sepia faded action best on the tree.

Whoa, those house are going to be eaten up by the sand dunes. Amazing shots.