Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The most amazing thing I've ever barely seen

See the speck at the top of that tree?


Tonight we found the bald eagles at Presque Isle. The eagles were found there last year for the first time in many years, and the powers that be don't publicize where the nest is. They don't want to create too busy an atmosphere. Luckily, a fellow nature freak at work found them and spilled the beans to me.



The eagles have constructed a massive nest at the top of a very tall pine. When you access the area on foot, you're across a pond from the nest area. Sadly, I don't yet own a telephoto lens so the photos I managed to take were pretty disappointing. I've enhanced them, but the cropped images are pretty shoddy. At least they give the impression of eagles, right? And this being the first time I've ever seen bald eagles in the wild, I was pretty excited.






The female was in the nest (I wonder if she has eggs?!?) and the male was some distance away at the top of a tree, surveying his domain. Expect more photos when I add to my equipment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man--that is fabulous! You did a great job with the photo of the nest, such an amazing sight. You have some wonderful territory in your area.

Elsie said...

Bald eagles?? That is so awesome! Thomas would be so jealous.