Monday, April 21, 2008

Engorged

(There I go again, using the risque title to try and scam the Googlers. Snicker, snicker, snicker! --ed.)

We took a hike on Saturday morning out at Wintergreen Gorge. We usually visit the gorge in the summer and walk up the creek. That's a nice walk, as long as you mind your step and don't accidentally fall and get wetter than you planned. Because it's still a bit cold for that, we took the path on Saturday. The thing about that is, it's a gorge, see, and the path goes UP.

Along the way, I found some cool shots:
























Liam had a blast throwing rocks into the water. Doesn't take too much to make that boy happy.











One thing I really like about the gorge is the cool exposure of roots and rocks along the banks.








So back to the path. When you follow it alllllllllll the way up, you wind up at a spot known locally as "The Devil's Backbone." Here's the thing: I was scared and pissy and hot and tired by the time we got there. Dan was the one who kept pushing Liam and I to keep walking, promising numerous times that it had to be just around the next bend. The edge was dry and crumbly and I was too busy imagining my son plummeting to his death to take any good shots. Plus, look at it! It's not all that impressive without leaves. I bet it looks a lot nicer in the fall.













I also found these pretty yellow flowers. Anyone know what they are? The shape reminds me of an iris, but they're much smaller than that.



















And lastly, I have two fun random shots for you. The gorge is close to Penn State Behrend college and I found this kid getting ready to commune with nature. Look how cute he is, walking into the woods with his guitar, getting ready to serenade a tree or something!



















And a shot by guest photographer Dan. Peek-a-boo!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those flowers look like Shooting Stars--gorgeous. I like the shot of the Devil's Backbone BECAUSE it looks so raw and crooked and . . . devilish. :)