Friday, April 25, 2008

Meet melanerpes erythrocephalus

Also known as the Red-headed woodpecker.

Before I go any further with this post, I feel the need to address something. Look, I get it. I might look like I'm starting to turn into a bird lover. Any one who knows me might be saying, "Amy, what's with all the bird pics? You used to hate, hate, hate birds." Don't be fooled. I still do. But I mostly hate them when they're close to me. For instance, if I visited the rain forest, I'd love to see parrots in the wild. But I'd move out before I'd allow a parrot as a pet in this house. Also, I'm prejudiced against certain kinds of birds more than others. There. I admitted it. I'm a bird bigot. I like wild birds just fine. I still wouldn't touch one with a ten-foot pole, but I don't find them as disgusting as some other birds, like sea gulls or parakeets.
So think of the birds as photography opportunities only.
Now back to melanerpes erythrocephalus. He's very shrieky, in addition to being a loud pecker. (snicker snicker)
I stood here and watched him high up in a tree for a good 5 minutes.
He'd take a couple of pecks and then sit back up to scan the area.
I guess to get those bugs and stuff, sometimes you have to dig in deep.
And eventually, he got tired of sitting on a branch letting me take pictures and decided to take off.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great red head that guy has. Here, we have spotted woodpeckers, and they have a red cap, but your bird's whole head is dipped in berry juice. LOL Love these shots.

Tracy said...

Hi I found you from a link in your siggy on 2peas...I'm twazd on there-I saw your mention of Presque Isle-I live the next town over from another Presque Isle-in Maine. Your environ looks very similar to ours...minus the beach we are waaay inland. Love your shots of your P.I.