Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Gee, Wally. That's swell!




Long Pond was beaver-tastic on Sunday.





I got a shot or two of them in the water, but this area is so choked by thickets and reeds and dead trees it's hard to get a good picture. In other words it's perfect for beavers.







And here is a Photoshopped version of the picture I posted yesterday. I'm not happy with it. The snow is so burned out, but I can't seem to brighten the rest of the scene without doing that. I know, I know, it's possible to "lasso" certain parts of a photo so enhancements are applied only to them, but I'm just not that skilled yet. Also, doing such a thing requires patience. Maybe on a weekend.





And now a word or two on behalf of the much-maligned Canada goose.



First of all, people often call them Canadian geese, instead of Canada geese. So the poor things are always being called the wrong name.

Secondly, they have a (well-deserved) reputation as being noisy, smelly, foul garbage birds, or as I like to call them, "shit machines." They leave huge green droppings that are about the size of a small dog's. And they leave a lot of them.





All of that being said, it's hard to deny that they can be very beautiful birds when you see them like this:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have no beavers here in Hollywood. In order to see a beaver, we have to drive over to Colorado. We do, however, see Canada Geese, and we call them Canadian Geese as in, "What's that honking?" Around here, they are a wondrous sight winging overhead or filling a field as they stop over for a rest. If we think of any birds as a nuisance, it's inland seagulls or the damn overpopulation of crows.

Anonymous said...

Love the wildlife pics!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Amy! I learn so much from your blog! "Shit machines" is the proper name for Canadian geese. Duly noted. Wait...maybe I need to read that again...