Saturday, April 19, 2008

Since you've seen my beaver, I thought I'd share my pecker shots.

{Editor's Note: I have a stat counter embedded in my blog. It doesn't tell me any personal info on anyone, just the city and state (and country) of their ISP. I can also see what page, if any, led to mine. I find some really funny Google searches that (unintentionally) lead to me. For the past two nights, I've gotten traffic from SOUTH KOREA who Googled "beaver shots." Poor guys. (Or gals, as the case may be. I don't judge.) I'm almost giddy at the thought of all the poor souls who might be looking for something different and find this post.}


On our walk by Graveyard Pond the other day, I saw this Downy Woodpecker. We could hear his big brother, the Pileated Woodpecker, somewhere nearby. (The Pileated Woodpecker is much bigger than the Downy, and the sound of his pecking for food is much louder.) But the Pileated was staying out of sight, so I took the Downy. Better a smallish pecker than no pecker at all, I always say.




And a fun fact: Did you know that the scientific name of the Downy Woodpecker is Picoides pubescens? (snicker-snicker-snicker.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fabulous! Don't you love that red head? And your google hits are hilarious. I have friends who have a movie review blog, and they use certain terms just to see how many hits they get. :D

Anonymous said...

LOL @ those google searches! Poor beaver hunters. Your pecker is beautiful, but that blue sky behind him takes my breath away! Wow!

As for those googlers...let's see...got any one-eyed snakes in your town? Or maybe you could find Pooh's honey pot out there in the woods? ;-)