Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Jewish Cemetery

As I mentioned yesterday, I visited a local Jewish cemetery.

Erie doesn't have a very large Jewish population. There's only one other Jewish cemetery in town that I know of.

This location used to be almost rural, even in the last 15 years. Now there's a WalMart and a Sheetz, and the Harley Davidson dealership right next door.

It's not a huge cemetery, but once you get inside, it's so quiet it's hard to believe there's a busy intersection right outside the gates.

I'm familiar with the Jewish practice of placing a little rock on the headstone; I guess it's to show that someone has been to visit. I found it very touching to see this...

especially this one, with the little ladybug painted on it.


As I wandered around taking pictures, I noticed a couple of headstones far off in a corner of the cemetery, all alone.

Now, I have no idea why these gravesites were where they were, isolated in a lonely corner, but they were babies and children. 4 small stones. I left a rock on each of their stones.

13 comments:

pat said...

Amy, these are really moving photos, especially the ones focusing on the rock reminders. Very touching. Thanks for sharing these.

Anonymous said...

These are all really cool...I love the black and white ones...they really make an impact!
Cari

Michelle said...

what a great walk among the stones you had. i really like the tradition of placing the rock on the tombs. such a sweet gesture.

Anonymous said...

I have a guilty pleasure of coming to your blog daily. I have enjoyed your pictures and commentary. I'm from ACOT board and you would never guess that I would "check you out."

Anonymous said...

So lovely. The stones left are a sign that the there has been a visitor who has not forgotten. Love the bird on the star!

Jess said...

Wow, what a beautiful, peaceful place. I didn't know about leaving a small stone. That brought tears to my eyes when I read that you left stones for those children.

Joanne Fowler said...

These are so moving.

Becky said...

I've always thought that was a cool tradition too. You captured them so nicely. There's something about baby stones that is so touching.

Amy said...

These are very beautiful shots, you can feel the sereneness of the cemetery.

Cindi Koceich said...

How sad and touching these photographs are!! I love the close-ups of the stones. What a beautiful meaning!!

Margaret said...

Your photos are so touching today. I love the ones of the little rocks left on the headstones. How sweet that you left some on the little headstones, too.

Pastor Swope said...

Great photos! I used to serve at Asbury UMC right next door. You capture the moment so vividly. While at Seminary I was a janitor at Temple Beth Torah in Nyack NY and found a life long kindred spirit with Judaism. You have revived that spirit through your art. Kudos and thank you for sharing your talent!

Sharon said...

The shots of the rocks are cool.