Sunday, June 1, 2008

Birds, snakes, and the dog and pony show

While Emily and her friend spent the afternoon at the mall, I decided to head over to Asbury Woods to see what was up. As usual, I wasn't disappointed. As soon as I parked the car, I saw this tree swallow. When he saw me, he immediately exited the nest and flew above it in circles.
Eventually, he landed back on top of the nest box.
See all that fuzzy junk? Those are cattails. Later in the summer, they'll be sleek and velvety-brown, but right now they look like they're molting.



Also right near the parking lot, I was lucky enough to see this Piping Plover

And the new baby Canada Geese. These don't stay small for long. They'll be as big as their parents in no time.




As soon as they saw me approaching, they hightailed it into the water.

I walked through the woods to the boardwalk and found these wildflowers. Not sure what they are, but they sure are pretty.

My destination today was the swamp. I was hoping to see a frog or some turtles.

Instead, I saw some snakes! Naturally, with these guys prowling around, the frogs made themselves scarce. I could hear them in the distance but didn't see any.

I headed back to the nature center, with it's eco-friendly roof.

In the garden there, I saw these:

But the most unusual part of the day came when I was leaving the nature center. Across the street at the community park, I saw a bunch of people with Newfoundland dogs.
And they all had the dogs hitched up to carts.

And some of the people had numbers on their backs, as if it were a race or some type of competition.



It was definitely an unusual sight.

16 comments:

Margaret said...

What a neat variety of animals, flowers, birds, snakes...YIKES! Those dogs are really interesting.

Reds said...

Feel like I went on a walk with you - Love these! no the snake though!! ;)

♥ Amy said...

Looks like a fun day with a camera for company. You got a lot of great shots! Love the murky green of the swamp picture.

Chell said...

Umm yea I woudl have headed for safer ground with snakes around. Bery pretty shots form the nature center.

Val said...

Looks like a fun day. the snakes would have creeped me out. i would've been somewhere with the frogs. hehe

pat said...

What a fun day. I commend you on your snake shots--I would've been shuddering my way in reverse as fast as I could go!!!

Anonymous said...

eeew snakes... but great shots of them.. And big dogs!!

Anonymous said...

That park holds so much to see--and photograph!

Mom2Drew said...

Such treasures in these shots, wow. What will you do with all of them? I'd be all over scrapbooking these puppies.

Elsa said...

I have seen contests on TV where these carted dogs have to go through a obstacle course. I wonder if these people were doing something similar. Seems to me you had a bit of a Canada day with the geese and the Newfoundland dogs, lol! Great shots, especially the flowers

Anonymous said...

Ok I would totally drop my camera if I saw a snake like that! The dog hooked to the cart was so silly! I love it though. Newfoundlands are just made for stuff like that I guess. I thought he kind of looked like a bear at first. Haha.

Jess said...

Wow, what an interesting day you had! Those dogs are a hoot. I would have screamed when I saw the snake but I'm like you, I would have photographed it while I screamed, lol!

Becky said...

Birds, flowers, and dogs: all my favorites in one post! I feel like it's my lucky day. I love newfies.

Michelle said...

what a great day you had! lots of different visual treats. except the snake. :)

Angela2932 said...

A photo walk! Those dogs are impressive! I love the photo with the geese in the water, and really like your DOF on the flowers.

Anonymous said...

wonderful photos and love seeing all these great things on your walk!