Sunday, June 15, 2008

Dreams that die hard

This is Dan, my husband of almost 10 years. Dan was supposed to be a rock star.



Dan was a huge fish in a very small pond back in the day. If you speak to people of a certain age, they will recall many of the different bands he was in very fondly.

You can Google some of those band names and still find original or re-released vinyl.



Dan was the bass player and lead singer.

It's been hard for him, letting go of what he thought would happen when he was younger. By the time we met, his hey-day was over but he still played out several times a month.

Now, he's firmly entrenched in middle age and he doesn't play out at all anymore.

Every once in a while, though, I can see that it's still very hard for him.

Dan and I haven't had the easiest time together. The past 10 months have been particularly difficult. I think to myself often about how our marriage vows said "for better or for worse," and this has to be the "for worse" part; I shudder to think it could be worse than it has been.

But regardless of how things are between us, I will always say that Dan is a good father in all the ways that count the most. He's devoted to our kids and very giving of his time and affection with them. He's still a star in our son's eyes.

14 comments:

Michelle said...

what a sweet post to your hubby. i love the conversion on these shots. perfect. hope things get better soon!

Anonymous said...

Feel me hugging you?

♥ Amy said...

What a sweet tribute. Your last words mean a lot - Mommy's are usually the ones who make Daddy look bad in the kids' eyes. I hope things will be looking up for you soon!

Chell said...

These are Great [ictires, and I like your journaling going along with it. It really tells a story. Hope this is the worst of it for you. hang tough!!

Reds said...

So sorry you are having a tough time. Hope everything will work out for you guys!

For Over 29 Years... said...

Your commentary was heartfelt and brought tears to my eyes. Now you have to tell us what bands!!!

Angelica said...

I love the pics you shared along with your story... I think they fit perfectly. And such a sweet little ending :) Here's to hoping the next 10 months are complete joy for you and your family. {{{HUGS}}}

Mom2Drew said...

Your journaling is heartfelt and real...I appreciate that. Like the BnW conversions and all the different perspectives too,

Trina said...

Great shots. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}} to you and I hope the worst becomes the best again real soon.

Kristina said...

Thanks for your journaling--it was so open and candid. And, I really like your bnw conversions.

Jess said...

These are so great. I can tell how big music is in his life, even now. I'm sorry to hear you are having a rough patch. Hang in there, it WILL get better! {{{hugs}}}

Tori said...

these are great shots! i really enjoyed your journaling, too.... very sweet.

Becky said...

Rough patches suck, and I find your honesty refreshing. Hope things get better soon. Love the b/w photos here, particularly the closeup with his hand on the bass.

Elsie said...

(((Hugs))) for you, friend.