Monday, June 9, 2008

Saturday in the park

Oh, hi there!
As I mentioned on the turtle post, we took a (long) drive to Letchworth State Park in NY this past weekend. It's a beautiful park.

I also mentioned that the MapQuest directions I printed took us down some back roads. There was some tension to that, mainly related to the fact that some of the roads didn't have any signs on them. Of course, there were benefits too, like this windmill farm we passed. (There were TONS more than this spanning both sides of the road, but really....who needs to see 5 or 6 pictures of windmills, right?)

The main attraction at Letchworth is the huge gorge and 3 waterfalls. The waterfalls are cleverly named the Upper, Middle, and Lower falls. We actually only saw the Upper and Middle, because we spent too long playing in the water and didn't ever make it down to the Lower falls.
Oh, and leave it to me to find a cemetery at a State Park! You know I love me some cemeteries!
Up the path and off to the side of the Upper Falls, we found a smaller waterfall to play in.
The small waterfall was in a sort of grotto back behind this bridge. Of course, I was a nervous Nelly the entire time, squawking at the kids to stay away from the bridge because I could envision them slipping and getting swept away under the bridge to plummet over the Upper Falls!
Of course, the kids had fun in spite of me.
Of course, Sister was a little more cautious than Brother.
One thing that really excited me: Most of my shots of running water have always looked like this:
But that day, I figured out how to control the shutter speed to make it look like this:I know it's a little blown out, but that's okay! Baby Steps!
This is a shot of the Middle falls:
The edge was covered in these yellow flowers.
Oh, and here's some photographic evidence that no one in my family knows how to listen!


We were bummed when it was time to go, because it was such a fun, peaceful place.
Oh, and here are a couple of parting shots of that turtle we saved from certain death. I think he looks appreciative, don't you?

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are all great and that first one cracks me up!
Cari

Reds said...

Love your journaling! You are too funny! Feel like I am going on a trip with you!! ;)

lcp said...

Great post - we were at Letchworth over Memorial Weekend!! I love that place and you did a great job capturing your time there.

Kristen Wagner Penn said...

What a serene and beautiful place! Thanks for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

Wow...your water shots are just so neat. And the turtle is great too!

Angela2932 said...

Looks like the whole voyage was quite the beautiful adventure! i love your water shots, and the one with feet in the water.

Michelle said...

what great photos! congrats on the water shots-you did awesome! and i love that your family apparently listens as well as mine does!! LOL!

Mom2Drew said...

Wish I could have been there, looks amazing! That setting is right up my alley. You did well with your SS too.

Anonymous said...

Love the waterfalls shot you took with the open shutter. I'd been reading about that technique on Adorama (thanks for the link!), so it was neat to see your results.

Em's toes look ready for the 4th. :D

I would LOVE that park!

pat said...

Really like this series--what a GREAT place to visit! I would love to go there; I am a waterfall junkie.

summerbl4ck said...

like that 1st one a lot. very creative! and great work on the waterfall!

Anonymous said...

I love the waterfall pics! Looks like a great place!

April said...

these are amazing..i've been wanting to do that waterfall picture too..i just need to find a waterfall.

Debbi said...

I really like the waterfalls and the feet in the water (especially the cute painted toes!).

Debbi said...

I really like the waterfalls and the feet in the water (especially the cute painted toes!).

Becky said...

Way to go on the waterfall/shutter speed thing. I have yet to accomplish that. And I looooove the one with the yellow wildflowers and the falls in the background. I shot in a cemetery yesterday, myself. It was a little more modern than I like, though. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey there! Thanks for the comments on my blog! Here is a link that helped me...that and my hubby!
http://sjhblogdesign.blogspot.com/
Hope that helps. It was pretty easy!
Cari

Anonymous said...

Those water shots are wonderful, Amy!

Diana said...

the are some great shots but i really really really like the one of the running water it looks like its mistly