Monday, June 16, 2008

Engorged again

We're a bunch of creek-walkers in this family. One of our favorite summer activities is to head over to Wintergreen Gorge and go exploring. Who needs a path when you can walk right up the creek?
One of the minor issues we had on Saturday was that we've had some rain lately and the creek wasn't quite as placid as it normally is.
With some carefully placed steps, though, we avoided any major mishaps.
I got more chances to practice using a slower shutter speed to capture the water. My exposure isn't nailed yet, but it's better!


Spikey came along with us this time and had a blast. Funny thing about that dog...he's got a bit of a water phobia. We really had to coax him to get him to go into the creek a lot of the time, but I think he got the hang of it.
I think he thought he was going to find something in this hollow tree, but no such luck.



The best part of the trip for Emily, Dan, and Liam is looking for creatures. Against my wishes, they hunt for snakes, toads, and whatever else they can find. And of course it's not enough to just see these critters, we have to pick them up. And sometimes we have to take them home in a bucket for a few days. (GAG!)

Warning....the next few pictures aren't for the creature-phobic!

On Saturday, we found a salamandar....he was lucky enough to get put back.

And we found two small water snakes. (Yes, that's Em holding them. She has no fear.)

This one was a little feisty! (Don't worry...no teeth. It didn't hurt her.)

Now, this last shot is straight out of "Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom." Don't say I didn't warn you.

We also found a toad and a garter snake. All the snakes and the toad were put in a bucket. Ummm, duh, family....snakes eat toads. Poor Mr. Toad didn't make it home with us. Of course, Mr. Snake needs to eat too, right? This is what we found after they were in the bucket together for about 5 minutes.


Poor Mr. Toad.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job on the shutter practice!!! Those are great shots! Yuk on the snakes and toad...great shots though!
Cari

Kristen Wagner Penn said...

Very pretty! I love your journaling with all of your posts. Those "critters" scare the bejesus out of me though!

Trina said...

Great job with the SS practice!!!

Anonymous said...

Love to see what you're doing with the shutter speed. I'm going to try that in July on vacation--when there will be running water! LOL

The creatures are fabulous subjects--love their lines and colors.

lcp said...

You are doing a great job with the shutter speed! The water looks nice and smooth. Great journaling with your photos!

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

What a great place to go for a walk. Ugg on the snake eating the toad.

Michelle said...

great job on your exposure. i think its looking really good. and your water is so silky! beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Nice photos! The snakes creep me out though LOL!

Reds said...

Love your waterfall pics! Critters - I don't mind if they are pics... in real life... not as much!! ;)

Anonymous said...

Your water shots are awesome, but I think my fav is totally the one with the puppy! So adorable.

Bobbi said...

You and your titles! Cracks me up. I love the way the water looks in these photos.

Tori said...

looks like a great time out with the family! i really like your ss practice shots... the water looks so smooth and velvety!

Anonymous said...

I just love playing in the creek! Stunning photos as always and love the shot with the snake and frog! Thanks for all your kind comments on my site!

pat said...

NICE waterfall shots! Your practice is paying off. LOL on the snake and frog, and great slug capture! I love creek walking.

Elsie said...

SHRIEEEEEEEK!! Poor Mr. Toad! I love your waterfall shots, Amy. Gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

do they still have the rope swing there. boy i loved going there when i was in high school. I remember falling in the frog poop the green stuff man that was embarssing.

Beth
currently in FL