Sunday, June 22, 2008

Summer Saturday, and a first for Liam

Yesterday we took a drive to NY. On the way back we stopped at a park in Dunkirk. The kids got to get out and run around on the playground while I looked for neat things to take pictures of. This park had a little skate park area. There were some boys there, so I asked if anyone minded if I took some pictures. They all ignored me...but then they started showing off. I got to practice some action shots with varying degrees of success.















And even big boys need a timeout once in a while.



As I was taking these pictures, I heard something I haven't heard in years and years: the sweet chimes of the ice cream truck!We NEVER see ice cream trucks in Erie. Would you believe Liam has never gotten ice cream from an ice cream truck? When I was a kid, the ice cream truck came down our street every afternoon. (Much to my mom's chagrin, I'm sure.)

So of course, we had to get an ice cream.
I can't think of the name of what Liam chose...I used to get them when I was a kid. It's sherbet in a plastic cone, with gum balls at the bottom. (Edited to add....It's a SCREWBALL! Thanks, Lou!) (For old time's sake, I had to get one too!)
Of course it was a hit. Something about the ice cream truck makes the treat taste even better.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that a Screwball? Looks like Liam loved it!

Aren't teenagers painfully conformist--must be cool / must be cool / must be cool. :D

Your action shots are dynamic!

Malisa said...

great pics- we saw the ice cream truck the other day and my 4 yr. old had a fit (I didn't have any cash)!

pat said...

Oh, man! I can hear the sound of the ice cream truck, just reading this. Love his expression in the last shot. You got some really fun skateboard shots, Amy. Nice work.

Mom2Drew said...

That's something I've always wanted to try but been too afraid of falling and breaking an important bone (I've broken far too many for my lifetime.)

Oh, but that ice cream takes the cake!

Stacey said...

Oh my word that last shot cracks me up. Nice job!

Val said...

LMBO about the boys ignoring you then starting to show off. I bet those kids would love to have these photos!!

Bobbi said...

Looks like everyone had so much fun! That 6th picture down (where you can see all three boys) rocks, I could really see it with some funky processing.

Anonymous said...

I love the ice cream truck. I haven't seen one of those in forever, and a snow cone just takes the cake.

The skateboard action shots are awesome too.

Reds said...

Ice cream truck - brings back some old memories! Would run like crazy when we heard the music of the truck!! You got some great action shots of the skateboarders!!

Michelle said...

what fun shots! can't believe the ice cream truck doesn't come to your area! we hear them all the time...

Margaret said...

What a fun, perfect summer day. The ice cream truck has been making the rounds in our neighborhood lately. I'm the mean mom who tells my kids we already have popsicles in the freezer. :)

Suzy said...

That last shot is classic! I like them all but seeing him lick his lips just adds to what looks like a "fun-filled" perfect summer day!

Melissa said...

I always get nervous watching skateboarders - they crash hard! Love the ice cream truck!

Jena K Photography said...

Quite cool and fun. I LOVE the covered bridges.

Em said...

Awesome action shots Amy!!! And I love the ice cream truck ones! It's been so long since I've gotten anything from an ice cream truck, used to all the time as a kid!