Monday, June 2, 2008

Please let me flash you.

(snicker snicker. This topic is MADE for those double entendre titles I like to use to try to ensnare those naughty Googlers. Hee!)

OK so the POTD topic this week is flash. I have a crappy little flash on my camera, no fancy speedlight or anything like that. So tonight I just practiced a bit with some fill flash off and on in the same situation.

Here are a couple of shots. They are sooc because I don't have time for editing right now. Gotta run to an appointment!


The old man at rest, no flash:

The old man at rest, being flashed:

The kid in the pool, out of focus (oops) and no flash:

The kid in the pool, slightly better focus, and flash on:

And this one is completely off topic, but I just like it.

Tonight, I am going to try and make one of them fancy new-fangled DIY flash diffusers I seen on the internets. I bet I can find directions using The Google.

13 comments:

Sara said...

WTG, using the flash and trying something new!

Mom2Drew said...

You know...your flash example is a great one, proving you can still get good results via an onboard flash. Coolio!

Chell said...

Way to go catching those naughty googlers. Good use of the flash. I will try to break mine out this week and try to be on topic at least once.

For Over 29 Years... said...

what a great example! Love your journaling.

Michelle said...

i think you got great results from an on-board flash. say after me: its not the equipment, its what you do with it! :)

--sme said...

Great examples of using flash and not!

Margaret said...

Good job with your flash. I still struggle with mine!

Lauren Hartman said...

Yep, flash makes all the difference and your pics are proof positive :) LOL on searching the "internets." Back in the day (not all that long ago) when I used the pop up flash I used the translucent top of a deodorant cap as a diffuser. I just cut out a bit to make it fit onto my flash and VOILA. It actually worked pretty well so you might want to try it!

Becky said...

I'm glad you joined POTD; your blog is fun to read. :-) And I'm getting inspired to use my flash more.

lcp said...

Fun title for your post! :-) Good use of the flash - it shows how it can really work to your benefit.

Anonymous said...

I love available light. I also love Liam in splashing water.

Jess said...

These are great examples! I never thought to do before & afters! LOVE your naughty googler trap titles! ROFL!

jewels said...

That first one is such a different photo with flash. It looks very natural too, you can hardly tell it was used, and it makes the world of difference!

I love your title too btw! Totally LOL funny!

Cheers,
jewels