Sunday, June 29, 2008

The upside of insomnia

I couldn't sleep last night. I finally dropped off around 3:00 and sat up wide awake at 5. Since I'm usually not up at that hour, I decided to take advantage and see how the other half lives. Dan was up too and the kids spent the night at my mom's, so we were free to head down to the peninsula and take a morning walk.


We got there in time to catch the sunrise, and a last glimpse of the crescent moon.


Not a fabulous shot I know, but it was neat to see this heron fly across the beautifully lit sky.

We headed over to Sidewalk Trail. This trail skirts a long boggy pond and we figured we might be lucky enough to see some morning wildlife.

No such luck on any big birds or animals, but there was a ton of cool stuff to see.

There were lots of these red and white mushrooms... doesn't the red part this one kind of look like the diagram of a uterus? (Minus a fallopian tube, I guess. I know. I'm weird.) It rained last night and was still really wet on the trail. Some of the water was so even it reminded me of frost.
Dragonflies (or damselflies? I don't know the difference.) were all over the place...
...including this poor guy who was caught in a spider's web. I guess spiders have to eat too, but doesn't it look like the dragonfly is looking right at you, hoping for help? And a few more random shots:

Monarch butterfly caterpillar
Red-winged Blackbird
cute little baby frog
And I *think* this is a Flicker.

We were there for almost 3 hours and I took about 200 pics so be prepared to see more of this in the next few days!

14 comments:

Reds said...

Wow!! Absolute love the new look of your blog Amy!! Wish I could do the same to mine... thanks for taking us on your walk - love all the little details you caught!

Anonymous said...

That is, without a doubt, a uterus mushroom.

pat said...

What a fun, fun walk! The sunrise photos are stunning, Amy. Those colors are unreal. Love all the wildlife and plant life; can't wait to see more!

Anonymous said...

Oh Amy, those photos are breathtaking! You are getting good, woman!

Becky said...

You saw so much cool stuff! I agree about the uterus mushroom for sure.

Angela2932 said...

What a walk! And the uterus mushroom is amazing!

Angelica said...

VERY cool nature shots!! Love the uterus mushroom!! Totally looks like one ;)

--sme said...

You got quite a show on that walk! These are all great, so diverse!

Val said...

Fun walks. Love the sky shots. The uterus mushroom is hilarious! hehe

Sara said...

I'm reading abook at the moment that says to key to stress management is to recognize the beauty of nature's blessings around us. Your post comes at the perfect time!

♥ Amy said...

What a treat for the eyes! I LOVE the sunrise shots. Sometimes fresh air and 200 pictures are better than sleeping, huh?

Krystle said...

These are great shots. I love the first one, and the big mushroom.

Anonymous said...

Still secretly enjoying your blog. I like the way the banner looks at the top, but it is now very hard to read the font on this distressed background. I liked the look right before you changed it to this, with the light tan and orangey side borders.

Sharon said...

Wow! So many beautiful photos!