Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The weirdest waiting room EVER.

OK, so my daughter visits a therapist every other week. She sees this therapist for what's really probably just teen angst, but who wants to take a chance that something's not really wrong, you know? Anyway, she has a very nice woman therapist whose office is in the back of a converted house. (The front of this converted house is the low-rent bridal salon with those freaky mannequins from a few posts back. But I digress.)

The first time we ever visited this therapist, I was stunned. Seriously....speechless. My eyes didn't know what to look at next. The whole waiting room is just CRAMMED with the most bizarre stuff, and I'm not exaggerating. Don't believe me? Take a look. Thankfully, Em's appointments are generally last of the evening so there's no one else in the waiting room. I can take pics to my heart's content. That being said, the quality of the pics is not the best. Weird Waiting Room Lady keeps it dim in there.
I thought I'd post the pics in order of weirdness, from least weird to beyond weird. The other night I had Chauncey with me and he was highly amused.

Number 6 and low on the overall weird scale, is a large aquarium. What's really weird about it is the two gigantic orange fish. They totally come up to the glass and stare through at you.

This therapist has a running theme of Native American stuff in her waiting room. There's the ever-popular "dream-catcher" and lots of posters and prints. There's also Number 5, this eerie doll. Check out her coy expression and dusty plastic hair. (Gag. You just know she gets up and wanders around the place at night. And then plus, I look at her and wonder if anyone's ever used her as a therapy doll.) Chauncey seemed to think she was nice, though.

Over on the end table, next to the only lamp in the room, there's this freaky Jesus-hand-scary-bird candy dish. Easily Number 4 on the countdown.
Again, Chauncey has no fear.


Number Three on the countdown: This extreme extension of the Native American theme: the cigar store Indian.

Oh, and I can't leave out Number Two: This enormous stuffed gorilla, sitting in an actual waiting room chair over by the fish tank. Gives the kids something to play with, or the fish something to look at, I guess.
Now, brace yourself.
All braced?
I have to leave a little space to properly introduce our Number One, absolute king of all weird things ever seen in a waiting room ever in recorded history:
an actual ride-on horse like you'd see outside the grocery store.
I've never put a quarter in this thing to see if it actually works...I'm totally trying that next time.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you really have the monkey sitting on the back of the Jesus bird?!? The horse has a horrible case of lazy eye. Poor thing. I know that you are cracking yourself up in that waiting room. Call me when you put the quarter in the horse. I want to be there when the therapist sticks her head out of the door to see what is going on. Emily will REALLY need therapy then.

Anonymous said...

...and is that a giant cob web in the last pic behind the horse? Can you knock that down for me next time...or at least get a macro shot of the details, please?

Anonymous said...

That is so weird!!! I LOVE that you took photos of it!
Cari

Becky said...

Man, I love your blog! You make me laugh. Next session I want a self-portrait of you riding the horse.

pat said...

Oh yeah, that is SERIOUSLY weird! I hope she is a better therapist than her reception area indicates!!

--sme said...

What else can I say but, LOL!

Mom2Drew said...

Definitely interesting decor, but I bet she makes just about everyone comfortable. My MIL is a therapist but her waiting room looks NOTHING like this.

Stacey said...

I don't even know what to say but I grew up in Erie and this just fits. I love the horse. Great shots!

Reds said...

Wow! Interesting waiting room! I want a self-portrait on the horse too next time!! ;)

♥ Amy said...

Very interesting. Looks like Chauncy is right at home there, though.

Anonymous said...

How did you find Em such a great therapist? LOL

Michelle said...

ok, i don't know if the therapy could even help after waiting in that room! lol! i need to get a pet monkey to take with me--you're so funny!

Bobbi said...

OK...ummm...welll, hmmm. Not really sure what to say about this, lol. That is cu-razy. Very interesting though :)

Angela2932 said...

OMG!!!! This is hysterical! Who can engage in "self-defeating thoughts" when you have all this stuff traveling through your mind! Are you sure you're not in some kind of twilight zone museum spot that just doubles as the waiting room? And I totally love Chaucey's mysterious. . . persona! I must have missed the backstory on him; what is he about? My husband and I used to have "Ronald," a larger-than-Chaucey monkey, before we had children. Ronald often traveled, unbeknownst to us, to my husband's work.

Sharon said...

Oh my!

Elsie said...

Seems she is securing the future of her business with that crazy waiting room. LOL! Wonderful pictures, Amy! Please tell me you slipped a quarter into the slot and let loyal Chauncey take a ride on the horsey!